If you miss Chinese restaurant take out then you should definitely try this orange chicken recipe. Not even Panda Express can beat this homemade version.
I think Chinese take out was one of the little luxuries I missed the most after going gluten free. My husband and I never really liked to spend a lot of money going out to dinner but would treat ourselves to Chinese or a pizza every once in a while.
What is not to love about a date night in eating some yummy food, snuggling up on the couch and watching a movie.
Being a foodie I knew I couldn’t just give up my favorite recipes. But come on who has made ever made orange chicken from scratch before? I bet if I polled all my friends I would be the only one. So one day I was casually strolling the aisles of my local grocery store when I came across a bottle of La Choy Orange Ginger Sauce…and it was labeled gluten free. I thought this could work! La Choy also makes gluten free soy sauce, teriyaki and sweet and sour.
This is an easy orange chicken recipe that is just as good as any Chinese restaurant. Oh happy dance. This is a more spicy and flavorful then the overly sweet recipes for orange chicken. Yumm!
Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- One pound of boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped into bite size pieces
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup GF white rice flour
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Orange Sauce-
- 1½ Cups of La Choy Orange Ginger sauce
- 1½ teapoons of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1½ teaspoons San-J Teriyaki Sauce
- Optional- sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
- Crack eggs in shallow dish or bowl and break yolks/lightly scramble.
- Mix together cornstarch and rice flour on a separate shallow dish.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg let any excess drip off then dredge into the flour mixture and coat pieces of chicken.
- Heat oil for deep frying in wok or deep fryer to 375°F.
- While oil is heating stir together orange sauce ingredients except the sesame oil in bowl then transfer to wok, saucepan or saute pan. Heat the sauce thoroughly then add sesame oil and stir together. Turn sauce to low.
- Once oil is heated fry in batches about 3-4 minutes until a golden crisp and chicken is 165° internally.
- Add chicken to orange sauce and stir together, coating the chicken in the sauce.Add chopped green onions and sesame seeds for garnish. Serve immediately.